- 2xBerlin 88 Der Expander des Fortschritts 1:30
- Marsch der Bureaumaschinen Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Todesanzeige Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Der fremde Freund Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Heimattango / Irrmensch Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Das kleinere Übel Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Embryonade Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
- Die Wallraffkarawane Der Expander des Fortschritts 2:00
Der Expander des Fortschritts was founded in 1986. The “risk group” described itself as “pop musique concrète” or “abstract pop”. Der Expander des Fortschritts relied on disharmony and ruptures, which resulted in radio plays in a song format; the GDR as a real-socialist satire provided its material. Even the band’s name was a cultural appropriation of the superstructure by the substructure: “progress” was a fetishized word in the GDR, factory sports clubs would add it to their name, solidarity concerts would use it as a motto. The title “Urknall · Horde · Mensch” resulted from an Expander-typical translation of “Weltall, Erde, Mensch”, a compendium ceremoniously presented to each initiator on the occasion of their socialist youth initiation. In 1988, the band released the tape album on their own label Irrmenschkassette, a big bang in a tiny edition.
The tapetopia series, using the original layouts and track lists, publishes cassette editions from the GDR underground of the 1980s, especially from the “walled-in” scene in East Berlin. More than three decades after their initial “release”, most of these tapes have yet to be heard on either vinyl or CD, even though they made an audible mark in the canon of GDR subculture. Despite the tiny original editions of the time, many of the bands were considered cult in countercultural circles, which made them highly suspect in informed circles.